Thursday, February 04, 2010

Stitched flower tutorial

My friend, Betsy Veldman, always creates the most wonderful paper embellishments. Today’s technique is a stitched flower design that I learned from Betsy a couple of years ago. Thanks Betsy :)
This flower can be made any size but my finished size is about 3 ¼”.
**CLICK THE IMAGE OF THE STEPS TO SEE FULL SIZED**

1. Cut concentric circles from patterned papers. You can sand or ink the edges for definition. *Do not adhere these circles together because you will want to turn up the edges of the papers later.
2. Stitch over your circles as shown to make 8 “pie pieces”.
3. Cut thin wedges in between each stitched line.
4. Curl the edges of the petals upward.


















The flower looks perfectly wonderful like that, but I usually add to the center. Here is my example of the finished flower used on a card but they are just perfect for layouts too. I used the Basic Grey Sugar Rush collection of papers for a perfect combination of springy colors.





















Here is one more that I plan to use on a layout. I used my scraps from the Serendipity Scrapbooks February Altered kit:

7 comments:

Nancy Burke said...

AMAZING!!!! Just such a cool technique!

KathyL said...

ok, thanks to Betsy and now thanks to you ;) I'm going to copy this!!! show me some more ;)

Kathleen Summers said...

OMG, that is so amazing and gorgeous. You totally rock!!!

Tamera said...

I absolutely love this technique! I'll never get the gals in my class to do it, but I love it! Gotta do it on one of my own pages if I ever get around to scrapping for myself. ;-)

Cheri Wenger said...

I am so jealous of you girls and your sewing craftiness. These are gorgeous!!! You may make me pull out the sewing machine yet!

Michelle said...

Oh girl! You just totally rock at the flower making! I dub the Queen of the Garden Flowers!

Stacy Cohen said...

So pretty!!! Thanks for sharing!