Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Coffee and Tea Flowers!

I have another cool Flower tutorial for you! I used these flowers on my Key West layout (HERE). This one is awesome because they look great and cost almost nothing because the supplies are found in your kitchen. All you need is a few white coffee filters, a tea bag (black teas work best), and some string. The tools I suggest are decorative edge scissors and your Cropadile.

1. Stack 3 - 4 coffee filters to cut at once. Cut a 1 x 2" stack and a 1 1/4 x 2 1/4" stack. I used the large scalloped edge scissors for the top and sides so that the flower would have rounded petals.

2. Stack the smaller pieces on top of the larger pieces with the lower straight edge together. Accordion fold from the end as shown.















3. Pinch together the straight edge end and punch a hole with your Cropadile so that you can tie this piece together with string. If you do not have a cropadile, you will need to puncture a hole with a large needle and use strong upholstry or quilters thread to attach the end. The coffee filters are thick and hard to get a needle thru - that's why I chose to use the cropadile. :)














4. Seperate the "petals" of the flower being careful not to tear them. If you want a white flower, you are finished. If you would like to have a golden tea stained flower, put a tea bag into about 2 tablespoons of hot water. The small amount of water makes the color stronger. Drip tea onto the flower and it will spread. If you want to dry it quickly, place the flowers onto a papertowel and microwave for 30 seconds.
* Of course any dyes, Shimmerz, or Glimmer mists will work for this depending on the look you are going for.

I would LOVE to see your flowers when you create them - please stop back by and share a link to your blog or galley!

I will post my layout using these flowers next!


5 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow! Great tutorial! I'll bet these would look amazing with some Tim Holtz Distress Inks!

Terri said...

Neat stuff, Susan!!! I'm going to give this a try if I can locate coffee filters in my house.

Tamera said...

Thank you for the detail instructions Susan! You know I will be trying this tonight. I am taking the Thinking Inking class on Two Peas and I think I will try to use some of the distress inks to color mine. My boss let me have some of her white coffee filters and I have the kraft crown ones so it will be fun to see how different they both look with a little color. I have one of my infamous "mostly finished" layouts that I am thinking of using them on.

Debbi T said...

Wow! Those flowers are just awesome, and so is your layout. Thank you for sharing the steps for making them!

Ann said...

wonderful idea and tutorial!! We all know how expensive paper flowers are to purchase....i love these !!!!!!! I have to go make some. Thanks so much!!