Sunday, May 24, 2009

Yarn embellishments tutorial

Two fun techniques that add texture to your layout using yarn. *As seen on my Mickeys Garden Layout. Its best to use a very thin yarn for both of these. The yarn I chose is 75% recycled cotton so thats an added bonus. Its calld "Almond" Eco-Cotton by Red Heart (pictured below). My crochet hook is a 2.55mm size.

For the crocheted circle, start by punching small holes around your shape, making sure the hole is large enough for your crochet hook to fit thru with yarn. For this example I double crocheted in each hole and added a chain stitch between each double crochet.














I used gluedots for the yarn flower centers. Cut a 2" length of yarn and coil it around to fill the glue dot starting with the outter edge. Once you fill the center and press the yarn down well, you just cut the excess and attach the glue dot as the flower center. Simple, but cute, right?


7 comments:

Heidi Smith said...

that is ADORABLE!!! great techniques!

Pat said...

Thanks for sharing this!

Janet said...

OhMiGosh! This is SO CUTE! Now can you come over to my house & teach me how to crochet??? Thanx for sharing this! I found you on 2Ps =)
janet

Tamera said...

Another fantastic tutorial Susan! You always inspire me and manage to spend my money. ;-D Mainly because I end up running out and buying whatever you used on your layout or in your tutorial. Thanks again!

nylene said...

Thanks for the tutorial on your crocheted accents. Love the flower centers too. You are just so clever!

Cheri Wenger said...

Thanks for posting the how to on this. Your just too clever!

Shana Dilldine said...

I have not tried to crochet since I was a young girl and I am sure that I don't remember... :-( wish i did, this tutorial is great.